Friday, June 23, 2006

Poring Hot Spring, Kinabalu Park
While in KK we decided to take a drive to the Kinabalu National Park which is roughly two and a half hours drive from Kota Kinabalu city.


Visitors are greeted by a sign indicating that Poring Hot Spring comes under the management of the World Heritage Site.


Initially I wanted to visit the bat cave and the waterfall, but a look at the board made me think twice. Walking more than 3KM while carrying a one year old todler is definately not practical!


After paying the entrance fee of RM3 per-person (foreigners pay RM20), we headed towards the hot spring entrance.


After the main entrance we had to cross a bridge...


After crossing the bridge, we headed towards the open air bath...


Basically, we had to choose an empty bath...wash it and fill it up with hot water.


While waiting for the bath to fill, I visited the hot spring pool. Notice that there is a sign behind me indicating that one should not soak in the pool as it is really hot. The pool is so hot that one can actually cook eggs in it!


Clifford seems to enjoy the water...I certainly did, I have to admit that the water has done wonders to my eczema infested skin...the redness and itchiness has disappeared!


Cleo insisted that I take a dip in the rock pool...the water was soooo cold...imagine jumping into an ice cold pool directly from a hot tub!!! I don't ever want to do it again, I was hyperventilating like mad!!

Anyway we spent about 3 hours at the hot spring before driving back to KK. The drive back was not really pleasant as it was raining heavily, further visibility was bad due to the mist.