Friday, June 23, 2006

Golfing in Kota Kinabalu

While in KK I had the opportunity to play some golf. Cleo's cousing took me to Sutera Harbour which is rated as the best golf course in Sabah. The course is very well managed and rather friendly to the average golfer with its wide fairways, however having said that fairway bunkers are everywhere.


I reckon this is the best hole of the Sutera Harbour course...this is hole 5 on the Lake Course which plays as a par 4. From the tee box you get a fantastic view of the ocean, if I am not mistaken the island in the background is Manukan Island. I find this hole quite challenging as you will be teeing off against the wind. I can't wait till December to get back to KK and reacquaint myself with this fantastic hole.


I also had the opportunity to play at Kinabalu Golf Club which is regarded as the oldest golf club in Sabah. It was established in 1933. The pic shows the view from the club house which is overlooking the first hole.

It is a walking but short course. Although the first hole has a rather generous fairway, the rest of the holes places a premium on accuracy. This is a course where you definately do not want to get into the rough. The rough is very "rough", I used a 7 iron with the intention to "whack" my ball out of the rough but only managed to get 10 feet of distance....

I am now counting down the number of days left before I set foot in KK again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »